Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Well, Mom-Mom, I might get something wrong!


I can feel it – children, parents, and teachers everywhere are both anxious and hopeful about the new school year.

My grandson, Ayden, is going into first grade. We were “playing” chess on Friday, when I found the perfect opportunity to ask him about the coming school year.
 
The conversation went something like this:

Me: “So, buddy, how are you feeling about first grade?”

Ayden: “Well, Mom-Mom, I’m over it.”

Me: “Oh, tell me about it.”

Ayden: LONG silence

Me: LONG silence

Ayden: “Well…I might get something wrong.”

Me: “Oh, honey; that is a definite. And you know what; your teacher and all your friends will make mistakes too. I get things wrong every day. That’s how I learn to make it right.” (I purposely move my queen in an open spot to get captured).

Ayden: “Mom-Mom, you shouldn’t move your queen there, I can get it.”

Me: “Oh, my mistake. Thanks for teaching me. Now I know.

Ayden: BIG smile!
 
 
Teaching idea for today: Model a teachable spirit

 
Forget about the image of being the “all-knowing teacher.” Students see right through that & it is way too much pressure to uphold. Let your students know you are learning right along with them. Facilitate their learning instead of trying to be the great dispenser of knowledge. It doesn’t work. Students will respect you so much more for your transparency & willingness to learn. Modeling a teachable spirit empowers your students to see learning as continuous & worthwhile.

Ask questions when you are confused. Say you don’t know, & then model how you search for the answer. Take notice when students are teaching you something & thank them for it. Model what it looks like & sounds like to humbly admit when you are wrong.

 Ask students how you can improve as a teacher & use their advice. Share how you took their advice & improved the next project, assignment, or assessment to best represent their needs. Your humility during these moments will speak volumes.

You cannot assume all students have good role models at home to show them the benefits of learning. When you take the time to model how to see learning as valuable, you are providing a gift that lasts a lifetime.
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment